Thursday, September 23, 2010

Street Food: Hong Kong v/s Mumbai

The world eats to live, I live to eat. I absolutely could not wait to post about food and finally the time has come! According to the world’s best food critic in 2009, Matt Preston, Hong Kong is the “food capital of the world”. I would disagree if I could but I honestly he is not wrong. From Korean to Japanese, Thai to Vietnamese and Cantonese to Sichuan, Hong Kong has all types of cuisine under one roof. Since I was a child, restaurants have never appealed to me and if given a choice, I would pick street food over any type of cuisine.
WARNING: The following information might gross you out completely.
One of Hong Kong's most popular street food joints
I am convinced that I was probably born with a skewer of Hong Kong street food in my mouth. The taste behind street food is simple; you like it or you hate it, I certainly follow the former. One of the most famous street food dishes is “Yue Daan”, literally meaning “Fish Ball”. These are balls of fish that are dipped into a curry sauce and can be served with Hoisin sauce.

Yue Daan

The next delicacy, as gross as it may sound, is Chicken Feet. Chicken feet are considered to be one of the most delicious parts of a chicken, according to Chinese people. At street food stalls, the feet are dipped into a sweet soya sauce and before you know it you are feasting on one of Hong Kong’s most delicious snack. Apologies if this made you puke.
Chicken Feet. YUMMY!
For all you vegetarians, the only dish you may enjoy is “Cheung Fan” (pronounced: Chung Fun) . As a hardcore meat eater this is the only vegetarian dish I look forward to eating. Cheung Fun is made from steamed rice rolls which are drowned in a mixture of plum, peanut and chili sauces, sesame seeds are an accompaniment.
Cheung Fan
To Be Continued in a 2nd Part!

No comments:

Post a Comment